Subject: Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
From: [email-masked] (Bonfire)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 17:19:54 -0500

>Hey Bon, 
>
>	You said it: Hitchhiker's would be a blast to animate.  And you 
>really got my appetite up when you mentioned that it was a radio show.  
>That would be great to get hold of the original broadcasts, use them as 
>background track for animations. 
>
>	I'm pretty sure I just saw a video version of Hitch show up a few
>months back at the rental shop.  Not a new release, but a New Arrival?  I
>didn't really pick it up, 'cause I assumed it was the TV show.  But it's
>great that this concept has stayed alive through all incarnations of
>schlock that have bombarded us for nearly twenty years now. 
>
>	And hey, you want opinion, I can lay mine out here, since it's in 
>private, but I'm afraid Lucas and Speilburg both make me cringe.  The 
>latter is especially nauseating.  I've tried several times to watch that 
>all-time world box-office smash, YOUR BASIC FART, just because I've heard 
>such great things about the dinosaur animations--but I swear to you, I 
>can't get past the first few bars of his high-school marching-band theme 
>music before I start groaning and reaching for the off-switch.  
>
>	It's like the poor guy missed out on 'cool' altogether.  Rock and 
>Roll completely passed him by.  His soundtracks are more appropriate to 
>some Sonya Heini ice-skating dog-rescue Disney Epic.  
>
>	There, that feels better . . .  Holding in opinions like that is 
>rather like suppressing a burp . . .    

I first heard of Hitch on NPR (National Public Radio) as a weekly half hour
episode.  There were 12 episodes in all.  Then, many years later, the books
started to come out, which pretty much followed closely to the radio
programs.  Of course it was more detailed.  After that, when the books hit
#1 in Europe (I think) a TV show came out.  WHAM!  Like a slice of lemon
wrapped around a gold brick it was very disappointing.  The graphics were
cheesy, the special effects costumes looked like they were tailored for Ice
Capades, and most disappointing was the lady Tricia McMillan (Trillian).  On
the radio show she sounded intelligent with a very alluring voice.  On the
TV show, they casted a lady who acted like a fifth grader.  I've always
waited for someone to create a movie version.  The way the special effects
was suppose to be.

I bought the original radio program tapes from a bookstore.  It's a BBC
Audio Collection and distributed through THE MIND'S EYE.  They're address is:

The Mind's Eye
4 Commercial Blvd. 
Novato, CA 94949

I was surprised to see it come from the Mind's Eye.  Aren't they the ones
that distribute all those computer animation videotapes?  Interesting.

-Arthur Dent in a UFO for the first time
"I was expecting gleaming contol panels, flashing lights, computer
screens... not old mattresses."

===========================================================================
- Bonfire -    
CANDLELiGHT

--
[email-masked] (Bonfire) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]